Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Memorizing Scripture

Our kids go to Awanas on Wednesday nights.
It is a program where memorizing verses is a major emphasis.
Well a few weeks ago I was scolded informed that the boy child needed some help with his book work.
I will be the first to admit that we haven't put much time into working in the books during the week.
However, since the ending of our satellite, it's amazing where you find time!
Shame, shame on me!
I'm also not exactly the best role model for memorizing scripture.
I used to memorize things very easily.
I'd study the night before and bam, have it committed to memory.
Problem was I couldn't remember after that day.

Anywho,
I was helping the boy child yesterday memorize Psalm 23.
It dawned on me that perhaps I should find a song for him.
Read here where I talked about knowing scripture through songs.
After all so many verses are turned into songs.
I found the perfect song for him.
It was kids singing Psalm 23.
So needless to say, I've been singing Psalm 23.

The Lord is my shepherd,
I shall not be in want.


I am a child of King.  My needs are met. 
God, help me to align my wants with your desires for me.

He makes me lie down in green pastures,
He leads me beside quiet waters.

Be still, lie down, and rest.
I seek to put aside the stresses of this world so that I might quiet my heart and mind

He restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
For His name's sake.

He lays a path before me.
Sometimes I think I treat that path like a balance beam.
Teetering, trying to keep my balance on His path for me.
Treating it like a narrow path.
His will to one side, the world to the other.
Sometimes I jump off the beam and walk the side of the world.
It doesn't end well, it doesn't feel good.

Thankfully He restores me when I've failed.
I need to allow Him guide me on the wide path He's laid out.

Even though I walk through the valley
Of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

Um, yeah, the world is a rough place to live.
Stuff happens.
Tragedy hits us, no smacks us!
I'm thankful that I can have peace knowing He is with me.
He comforts me.

You prepare a table before me
In the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup overflows.

I'm blessed beyond measure.
My cup really does overflow.
I need to remind myself of this daily.
Even when I'm dealing with difficult people and need to remember that he has blessed me.
I need to be reminded to let God shine through me.


Surely goodness and love
Will follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Yes! I've accepted the free gift from God.
I will dwell in His house forever.
When it rains, when it pours, His goodness and love will be there.
It may seem hard to find, but it will be there!

Psalm 23: 1-6

Now let's sing it together!
Okay, so boy child just read this over my shoulder and started la laaing in my ear!
He's stalling for bath time.
Okay, gotta get ready to rest!

Finding the blessings,
Denise


Linked up over here:
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment